Sunday, April 21, 2013

Norse Mythology in Literature

It's easy to find Norse influence in movies, games, and even music, but what about literature? We've already talked about Thor in comics, which was a given, but what about more traditional forms of literature, like novels and poems?

This is where it gets a bit more tricky to spot the Norse influence, because it is not always readily apparent. Off the top of my head, I can't really think of any major series of novels that has a Nordic focus. Upon further research, however, I was proven completely wrong!

Douglas Adams for instance, of The Hitchhiker's Guide fame, seemed to be enamored with Norse mythology, and with Thor in particular. Thor appeared in Life, the Universe, and Everything and The Long, Dark Tea-Time of the Soul, the latter in which he also appeared with his father, Odin. Thor also reappears as a prominent character in the sixth book of The Hitchhiker's Guide novels.

In Northworld, a science fiction trilogy set in a militaristic setting, many Norse tales are retold. During the protagonist's travels upon Northworld, he encounters the gods of the land, including Captain North, who is the head of the pantheon, and retains similarities to Odin. In the novels, to be able to finish his tasks successfully, Hansen (the series' protagonist) must be transformed into a god to fulfill his duties. In this way, Hansen is likened to Thor.

Renowned author Neil Gaiman also seems to have a fetish for the Norse gods. Along with Odin and Thor, many other Norse mythological figures and creatures appear in American Gods. He would later write Odd and the Frost Giants, a book that loosely follows the events of the Gylfagginning, a Norse story told in verse by Icelandic Poet Snorri Sturluson in Prose Edda.

Some elements in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter novels are named from figures in Norse Mythology, such as the Granian horse and Fenrir Grayback. Other characters and plot elements have been speculated to have connections as well, but have not been officially confirmed. J.R.R. Tolkien had noted on many occasions that stories in his Middle Earth series, especially pertaining to deities, were influenced by the Norse pantheon. Since many high fantasy authors view Tolkien as a founding father of the fantasy genre, creatures such as goblins, trolls, and elves have become fantasy mainstays, all of which have Norse origins.

Rick Riordan, acclaimed author of the Percy Jackson series, has written about both Greek and Egyptian mythologies. In 2015, Riordan will begin to publish a yet-to-be-named new series which centers around Norse mythology.

In addition to seeing Thor on the pages of comic books in the US, a Korean comic (or manhwa, as they are called in Korea) named Ragnarok by Lee Myung-jin also contains many characters of Norse origin. While Thor does not have a prominent role in the series, gods such as Balder, Freya, and Loki appear very frequently. The main character of the series is named Chaos, a warrior who has no recollection that he is the reincarnation of the God Balder, and is sought out by multiple parties, including Fenris Fenrir, in order to bring about Ragnarok. The Massively Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game named Ragnarok Online was based upon this Korean series.

4 comments:

  1. This is very interesting! As a huge Harry Potter geek, I did recall that Fenrir was a Norse name. I'm also a fan of Neil Gaiman, but only his ideas, as I haven't exactly read his work (does that automatically exempt me from fan-dom?). I would like to know more about that Korean comic Ragnarok, because it sounds very interesting. I wrote my psychological analysis paper in here on Loki, so I know just a bit about Norse mythology. It's very cool, and seems like the perfect setting for a comic - and that synopsis sounds pretty cool anyway.

    But all in all, I really enjoyed this blog! Way to go, and I love the interesting points you bring up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm somewhat of a Potthead myself! I hope that one of these days they'll release a Harry Potter MMORPG so I can be immersed in J.K. Rowling's world forever!

      I haven't read much Neil Gaiman, but my wife has read some books that he co-wrote with Terry Pratchett, and she loved those. Gaiman really puts his hand in to a lot of creative productions though. I swear, I hear his name everywhere! He's definitely been a part of many forms of entertainment that I love.

      I've read some of the fan-translated Ragnarok comics, and they are mostly good, but can be confusing (mostly because of the many different translators I think). However, the story is very Japanese-manga style, so action is its primary focus. The backing story is good, though. I've played Ragnarok Online (the game) for years, and while it doesn't really stick to the story of the comic, the theme is the same. It remains one of my favorite MMORPGs I've played over the years.

      Delete
  2. Wow you did a great job! This is really interesting. I've read most of the books that you have reference as well as have watched many of the movies. It's been quite some time since I've read some of them, but it's interesting to go back in my vault of memory and apply the information you've provided. I've read most of Riordan's books, I look forward to his addition of the Norse mythology. I've really enjoyed his playful twists to some well known mythological characters, it'll be interesting to see what new twists he has to offer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had the pleasure of reading any of Rick Riordan's books just yet, but I just might have to now! I've definitely been meaning to watch the Percy Jackson movie since forever!

      I'm glad you found the content interesting! I meant to add a post that centered solely on movies, but ran out of time. I will likely just post it later on anyway if I have the time. XD

      Delete